Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 4

Day 4 - Your Parents
My parents have been amazing. My mother and father have been married for 30 years. They had my sister when they were 18. They had me when they were about 23. My parents grew up in Ohio. They met when they were 15, I think. They started dating and got married a couple months before my sister was born. My dad enlisted in the Marine Corp after my sister was born and began traveling. My mother and sister traveled to the various bases with my father. I was born while they were stationed in California. Whenever my dad had to move to a different location and his family went, my mother would find a job, take care of the kids, and run the house (while he was stationed away). My parents have both played the role of caregiver and they both have dished out our punishment. Both of them have done cleaning, laundry, made dinner, and worked. They taught my sister and I many things and have always done the best they could. They always told my sister and me that we needed to graduate high school, go to college, get a good job, and take care of ourselves. I remember being young and my parents telling us that we shouldn't rely on anyone else, especially not a man, to take care of us. I was young and didn't understand at the time. Now, I understand why they wanted us to follow down that path and take care of ourselves. I realize that I can't rely on anyone, but myself, to take care of me. I am glad that my parents have encouraged my education and that they have been supportive of me and my life.
I remember finding out I was pregnant. I was terrified to tell my parents because I was afraid to disappoint them. I am sure that it still did disappoint them, but they were very understanding and supportive. Steve (Gabriel's father) and I were the first that knew I was pregnant and I didn't want anyone else to know until my parents knew. I just wanted my parents to be among the first to know and to not have them find out from someone other than me. I told my mom and she took it much better than I thought. I was so afraid to tell my dad. I thought he would be pretty disappointed and I hated the idea of putting that on him. I went and saw my dad everyday for several days. Each time I meant to tell him, but I wimped out. One day I was visiting and my grandma was over visiting (Mimi), too. We were talking in the kitchen and she was talking to my father and I about how well my sister and I were doing. She mentioned that she was proud of how we continued our education and that we didn't have children young. That got me and I started to cry. She said something like, "You're pregnant, aren't you?"
My dad was not crazy excited for me or anything, but he told me that he just hoped that I would finish school. They were great throughout my pregnancy and both sat at the birthing center with me. They are amazing grandparents and love Gabriel so very much. At this point in my life, I know that my parents have been wonderful. We have had our fights and challenges. That is the way it is sometimes, though. I am grateful to have my parents be there for not only my son and me, but for my sister, too. My parents have done all they could to make sure that my sister and I had the things we needed, that we got a good education (as children and adults), and we rarely had to go without things. Sure...maybe I never got a PowerWheels, but I didn't really need it! Haha.
Gabriel and I visit with my parents a couple times a week and we talk to them regularly throughout the week, too. We have a good relationship and are pretty close. We are very lucky to have them.

1 comment: