Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day Three

Day 3 - Your first love

My very first love was Steve. He is my very first love and my only romantic love. When I was younger, I thought I had loved other partners I had, but now that I know and understand love, it was just lust and infatuation.
I met Steve when I was about 15. We took woodworking class together in high school. I thought he was attractive and I wanted to get to know him. I actually wrote him a note and gave it to him. Yeah, that is probably a bit lame, but whatever. He ended up calling me and inviting me to go stay with him, his best friend Ben, and this girl Kelly, at his father's house. I went over there and it was a little uncomfortable because I was pretty shy. Within time we started dating. We dated on and off for quite some time. However, it wasn't going to work because of my need to have a man in my life that can put me as a priority and he wasn't in a place in his life where that could happen.
We parted ways and kept in touch (but not well enough).
I was 19 and working at Dino's in Yellow Springs. I was working a shift, it was Spring, and I was serving a line of people in the afternoon. Someone walked up to the counter while I was serving those people and said my name. I turned to look and it was Steve. My heart started racing. I had to finish out the line of customers. He was gone by the time I was done. I went out back and sat down. I waited, thinking he might come back in, but he didn't.
A few weeks later we connected again and talked on the phone. I was dating someone at the time, but we made plans to hang out. We hung out and had fun. We were catching up. We gradually started spending more time together. The relationship I was in started going downhill, quickly. I eventually ended that relationship after receiving a nasty voicemail. It started out saying something like this, "You f***ing b****, I don't ever want to f***ing see you, again..." He apologized, but I just couldn't do it anymore.
Shortly after, Steve and I started dating. That was in December of 2006. On April 1st of 2007, I sent him a text message while he was working. It said that I was pregnant. Unfortunately, I fell asleep before I heard back from him. He was so excited and told people that we were having a baby. By the time I woke up, I told him that it was an April Fools joke. Oops! Got him good, but got myself better. A month later I did get pregnant. I found out two months after that joke that I was pregnant. I was working street fair and kept throwing up. I already knew I was pregnant, though. I still bought a test after I finished out street fair. Steve sat with me in the restroom while we waited. He was beyond excited. I was a wreck. It is amazing how fast they change when you are pregnant! We began our journey into parenthood.
Our relationship had ups and downs, but I loved him. I do love him still. He was my first love and he is the father of our child. He is a great guy and the best father. Gabriel and I are both very lucky to have him as Gabriel's father.
So, there it is...my first love.

1 comment: